You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#116320 Right Click in Chrome Error code: STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by sneadm on Tuesday, 05 March 2024 15:41 GMT

wires
Joomla version 5.0.3
JCE 2.9.62.
Google Chrome on Windows 10 Version 122.0.6261.95 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Microsoft Edge Version 122.0.2365.59 (Official build) (64-bit)

To recreate the problem, I can simply open any article and right click in the editor window. The JCE contextual menu pops up like normal for about 1 second, then the Aw Snap! Chrome error page pops up with a "Error code: STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW". (Screenshot attached)

I've tried different computers, Macs, PCs, and various browsers/platforms on three different Joomla 5 sites. This problem only seems to happen when using Chrome for Windows or MS Edge. Also, I tried a fresh install of JCE and with all the default settings it still caused the problem. Yet, Firefox and safari seem to work perfectly fine. Nothing appears in the dev console, just the onscreen error.

Any ideas what might be wrong and how to fix it?

Ryan
If you disable the Context Menu (in Editor Profiles -> Features & Layout - scroll down to the Additional Features section, uncheck Context Menu and Save) do you still have this error on right click in the editor?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

wires
Disabling the context menu does stop the error when right-clicking.

Ryan
Can you try some of the suggestions here? - https://www.thewindowsclub.com/status-stack-buffer-overrun-error-in-chrome-or-edge

I'm not able to reproduce tihs in my tests, so I want to rule out a few things before digging deeper.

Ryan Demmer

wires
Short version: Didn't fix it. Longer version:

I tried the 3 steps on the link you set. None of them solved the problem.

1. Change Exploit Protection Settings in Window Security
- Chrome stopped working completely and wouldn't open
2. Turn off Compatibility mode
- it was already turned off
3. Reset your browser
- The error persisted.
- I also tried resetting Edge but the error persisted
- Tried uninstalling and removing all Chrome user data, and reinstalled Chrome, problem persists
- logged into my computer with a new account. After the account setup was complete, I logged into the site administrator and the error was gone.
- I also tried running Chrome as administrator and the error was gone.

I'm very confused, but is seems like there is something in my user profile settings that is causing the error. This is not just on my computer but also on my boss's computer.

Any other thoughts?

Joel

Ryan
Not sure what is going on here. I'm going to try and hopefully recreate this in my Windows 12 machine and see if I can find the cause.

To recreate the problem, I can simply open any article and right click in the editor window. The JCE contextual menu pops up like normal for about 1 second, then the Aw Snap! Chrome error page pops up with a "Error code: STATUS_STACK_OVERFLOW". (Screenshot attached)

Is the article empty or are you right-clicking on any particular element (image, paragraph etc.)?

Ryan Demmer

wires
All of the above. It happens with new articles, old articles, text, photos, tables, and non-article text editor fields. Pretty much wherever JCE is used, the right click causes the error.

Ryan
Are you running any browser extensions in Chrome and Edge, eg: Grammarly (this extension sometimes causes issuses with editor content) ?

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
I was able to reproduce this in Edge with the Grammarly browser extension installed.

Ryan Demmer

wires
I can confirm that uninstalling Grammarly for Windows solved the problem. I re-installed the Grammarly plugin for Chrome and it worked fine without error. I reinstalled Grammarly for Windows and the error came back.

So, having identified the source of the error, I think I will unfortunately just deal with it for now. I get more use out of Grammarly than the JCE contextual menu. If possible, it would be great to have a better long-term fix.

Thanks for looking into the problem.

Joel

Ryan
I can confirm that uninstalling Grammarly for Windows solved the problem. I re-installed the Grammarly plugin for Chrome and it worked fine without error. I reinstalled Grammarly for Windows and the error came back.

So, having identified the source of the error, I think I will unfortunately just deal with it for now. I get more use out of Grammarly than the JCE contextual menu. If possible, it would be great to have a better long-term fix.

I was just waiting for your to confirm this, a fix is now available. 😉

Please try JCE Pro 2.9.63 Beta - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

This will disable the Context Menu when the Grammarly extension is enabled.

Ryan Demmer

wires
Thanks for the fast work. I've installed the Beta on my cloned test site. Here is what I found with my testing in Chrome:
1. With Grammarly for Windows and the Chrome plugin still installed - no error, default Chrome contextual menu shows.
2. With Grammarly for Windows and the Chrome plugin REMOVED - JCE contextual menu shows briefly, then errors.
3. No Grammarly for windows, Chrome plugin - no error, default Chrome contextual menu shows.
4. No Grammarly for windows, no Chrome plugin - no error, JCE contextual menu shows and works.

So, I'm guessing the Beta was just checking for the presence of the Grammarly for Chrome plugin and disables the contextual menu. Any thoughts of how to make it play nice Grammarly for Windows?

Joel

Ryan
So, I'm guessing the Beta was just checking for the presence of the Grammarly for Chrome plugin and disables the contextual menu. Any thoughts of how to make it play nice Grammarly for Windows?

Correct, the Beta adds a check to see if the Grammarly browser extension is running by checking for an attribute that the extension adds to the editor body. Grammarly for Windows does not do this, so there is no way to check whether it is running. I don't know why or how it is having an effect on the editor. I came across this in my tests too, and only uninstalling Grammarly for Windows fixed it.

The other option is to just disable the Context Menu for the editor in Editor Profiles -> Features & Layout (scroll down to the Additional Features section and uncheck Context Menu)

Ryan Demmer

wires
Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to leave the contextual menu enabled since the other site admins don't use Grammarly and it is working for them. I'll try to discipline myself to not use the right click inside of the editor. Or, I suppose I could create a duplicate of the editor profile for me that has the contextual menu disabled so the others could continue to use it. Not ideal, but it should work.

Thanks for your help.

Joel

Ryan
Or, I suppose I could create a duplicate of the editor profile for me that has the contextual menu disabled so the others could continue to use it. Not ideal, but it should work.

This is the best solution I think.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
I think I have fixed this completely now in JCE Pro 2.9.63 Beta 4 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

It should work with the Grammarly browser extension and Windows application.

Ryan Demmer

sneadm
I have the same problem in OS X and Chrome. I don't use Grammarly. Firefox works fine. In chrome, any right click generates Aw Snap! error code 11.
I haven't tried the Beta 4 yet.

wires
[quotePost id="116368"]I think I have fixed this completely now in JCE Pro 2.9.63 Beta 4 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

It should work with the Grammarly browser extension and Windows application.[/quotePost]

I think we have a winner! It appears as though the Aw Snap error is gone and the contextual menu is working as expected!

Thanks a ton, Ryan! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

sneadm
Beta solved my problem too. Thanks!