You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#105505 probs with files containing a '~' in it's name

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Wednesday, 07 October 2020 11:37 BST

HGH
When trying to do an upload with IME, a file with a '~' in it's name makes probs. The uploadmanager does the upload (it could be seen when looking into the dir with ftp) , but the file isn't displayed in the filearea. So it is not selectable for further use.

can you please fix this bug.

Engholm
~ characters should be avoided within filenames:
http://jkorpela.fi/tilde.html

HGH
Hi,
if I read this well, there is only a warning for using a '~' in URL's.

Meanwhile the warning is resolved.

In my case it is used in filenames.

Ryan
It's probably not a problem to use it in a url. I will fix this in the next update.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Ryan
Files with a tilde in the url are actually filtered by Joomla filesystem functions, which JCE uses to scan the directory for files and folders. I assume there is a good reason for this - it appears to relate to user folders on UNIX systems - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6252471/what-is-the-use-of-tilde-in-url - so I am going to leave this as it is.

Ryan Demmer

HGH
Hi Ryan,
I would like to describe to you again what the background of my issue is.
I have an image file that was saved to my home drive (Synology NAS) from my cell phone. When saved, this image file is given a file name that contains a '~' - e.g. 20201005-183145-1~2.jpg. The file can also be easily viewed and processed on a Windows 10 system.

If I want to integrate this image file into my website, then the following happens:

I start JCE Image Manager Extended (IME) by right-clicking to the pic and selecting "Insert / edit image" in the pop-up window. IME runs automatically to the upload-dir. Then I use the upload button to call up the upload function.
From my home drive I now drag the image file from the NAS into the upload window.
It appears then there as an entry in the list.

If I then press ok, the upload will start in the background. The screen twitches briefly and shows the selected upload directory with. The file that has just been uploaded cannot be seen.
If I look at the upload directory on the web server with an FTP program (Filezilla), then I can see the file there. The JCE upload seems to be working.
There was also no indication of any file name incompatibility during the upload.

Only the file is not displayed in the file manager window.

If I manually insert the file into the fields of the popup, it will be processed properly by Joomla when it is saved and the image will also be displayed on the website.

As it is now, however, the impression arises, that JCE is working incorrectly. It was the same with me. It took a while to analyze the problem because JCE has unfortunately not issued a notice either.

It would therefore be very helpful to output a message for the user when uploading, to automatically correct or even suppress the upload of files with invalid characters in the file name.

Currently this is a JCE bug that - however - should be fixed.

My wish would be to enable the display of the file in the file manager so that the further processing of the file in Joomla can be carried out without further changes.
This - for me - seams to be the easiest way .

Thanks for now.

Ryan
The Joomla Filesystem API - which JCE uses - by default does not list files or folders with a tilde in the path/name. This has been the case since Joomla 2.5 and I assume is a security consideration to prevent the listing of home user folders on some unix systems - https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6252471/what-is-the-use-of-tilde-in-url

Although JCE has allowed files and folders with a tilde in the name, because of the Joomla API restriction, these files are not then listed in the file list. I am therefore removing the tilde as a valid character for file and folder names, in the next update.

Please rename any files you are uploading to remove the tilde character in the name.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
This change is included in JCE Pro 2.8.19 Beta 4 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Ryan Demmer