You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#100656 Problem with JCE File Browser custom field when selecting multiple images

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by pjdevries on Thursday, 08 August 2019 12:44 BST

pjdevries
Hi,

I'm using the JCE File Browser custom field of JCE 2.7.15. Selecting a single image works as expected. However, selecting multiple files results in a JS error (see attached screenshot).

Unfortunately the JS files are all minified, so I can't investigate any further. It would be cool if you also include the original versions in future updates.

Can you fix this?

Regards,

Pieter-Jan de Vries

Attachments

pjdevries
I gave it a try with 2.7.15 RC2 and 2.8.0 beta 5, but they give the same error.

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.7.16 RC3 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Please not that media fields do not support multiple selections, so only the first image selected will be used.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

pjdevries
Thank you Ryan.

The JavaScript error is gone, but it's not quite the result I was hoping for, Obviously I hoped to receive all the selected images in my custom field. Similar to the core Joomla! Media field, when set to allow multiple. JCE File Browser still has advantages over the core field, but this is somewhat of a disappointment. For the time being I may have a less user friendly work around, but consider it a feature request 🙂

Can you at least make it so that it's not possible to check multiple files in the file browser? If you can check multiple but only one makes it into the custom field value, it's rather confusing for the end user.

Ryan
Similar to the core Joomla! Media field, when set to allow multiple.

I am not seeing this option when creating a Media field. Also, I don't see the process for multiple image insert in the Joomla core media field code.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
You are absolutely right. Not sure where I got the idea from. I have been fiddling with custom fields so much lately, that I probably mixed some fields up. Apologies for the confusion.

So now remains the question if you can make it so multiple images can be selected at once 🙂 Are you willing and if so, how soon would you be able to? And let me know if it has financial consequences?

Ryan
So now remains the question if you can make it so multiple images can be selected at once 🙂 Are you willing and if so, how soon would you be able to?

This is out of my hands, as it is not supported by the core media field.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
Are you telling me that you use the core media field in your JCE File Browser implementation? If so, can you give me some pointers where and what to look for, so I can have see if I can do it myself? And maybe supply me with the necessary uncompressed js files?

Ryan
Are you telling me that you use the core media field in your JCE File Browser implementation?

No, the JCE File Browser has nothing to do with the Media field. The Media field is configured to open the JCE File Browser instead of the Joomla Media Manager, and so any limitations of the Media field cannot be solved by the JCE File Browser.

The Joomla Media field as it stands is designed to provide a single input for selecting a single image to be rendered in the front-end article. For a field that supports multiple files would require a new custom field, not only to provide the interface for allowing multiple files to be selected and edited, but also the method by which this is rendered in the front-end.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
The Media field is configured to open the JCE File Browser instead of the Joomla Media Manager, ...

So it's the other way around. My mistake, sorry 😃

But the question remains the same and in the mean time I found out what my earlier mistake was. Not the core media field but the core imagelist allows selection of multiple image files. Is it conceivable to configure that field in a way you currently do with the media field? And once again, if you give me some pointers and any uncompressed js files I might need, I am willing to spend some time to see if I can make it work.

pjdevries
I guess this will not be 'solved' any time soon, if ever. So I'll start searching for an alternative.

Thanx for your attention.

Ryan
This is not a JCE issue, or an issue for JCE to solve. What you require is a completely new Joomla field, that allows the selection of multiple images to be rendered in some way in the front-end.

This could conceivably be developed as an extension of the Joomla Media field, but it is not something I am currently interested in adding as a JCE feature.

Ryan Demmer

pjdevries
Apparently there is something I'm missing completely. So let's leave it at that.

Thanx for your patience and responses.