You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#105740 HTTP Error 500 at Components > JCE Editor Pro

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by wemanuel on Tuesday, 03 November 2020 18:34 GMT

wemanuel
After updating Joomla! to version 3.9.22 Stable, at Components > JCE Editor Pro, I see an http error 500 "currently unable to handle this request" and an otherwise blank screen. I have JCE Editor Pro Version 2.6.15 installed, and the editor is working as expected. I have 202 days left in my subscription. Also, I reinserted my Update Key for JCE Editor Pro.

I will appreciate guidance as I want to update to the latest version of JCE Editor Pro and at present, I'm stuck.

Bill Emanuel
E-Mail: [email protected]

Ryan
An error message like that is probably a PHP error. What version of PHP is your server running?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

wemanuel
Thanks Ryan! I am running PHP version 7.2.23.

wemanuel
I searched logs and spotted a failure in error.php that my username and password do not match an account. I am reasonably certain that I am inserting the update key incorrectly or have an invalid key.

Initially, I grabbed a key stored in my 1Password file that should have been up-to-date. I am suspicious that I failed to update after my last renewal. I tried the key provided with my last renewal notification without success. I also tried a new key generated on the JCE website. Still see the page isn't working with http error 500.

At this point, I've tried several keys without success. Perhaps I trashed the JCE Pro access scheme at my end. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Ryan
The subscription key does not enable or activate JCE Pro, it is only used when you are updating via the Jooma Updater, and therefore would not be the cause of the error.

Please send me a login - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
The PHP configuration setting upload_max_filesize is set to 2M on your site, which restricts the size of uploaded files to 2MB or less. As the JCE Pro package is larger than 2MB, I am unable to install it on your site.

Please contact your host and get them to increase this value to 4MB or greater.

Ryan Demmer

wemanuel
Ryan,

Thanks so much for you diligent help.

I lease a virtual private server, and thus I am responsible for all administrative tasks other than updates to the core systems. Since I was loosing the ability to edit content, I rolled the system back one version, which incorporates an older version of JCE. I will look into the update again at some point when I am not seeing much traffic on the site.

I did find yet another setting of 2 MB maximum upload in a configuration file. I changed it to 128 MB, consistent with several other configuration files. We'll see what that does when my site traffic is minimal.

Best regards

Bill Emanuel
E-Mail: [email protected]