You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#103578 Using JCE S3 globally

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by activha on Monday, 23 March 2020 17:01 GMT

activha
Hi Ryan

Can you tell me if there is any difference between JCE S3 plugin for Amazon and Joomlart S3 plugin ?

Is it possible with JCE S3 to move our entire images, documents and medias folders to S3 in order to only keep the website files on our server ? I mean it's ok for new users to upload and use S3 for new posts, but what about old ones if we do this ? Do you have a mechanism in your plugin to check S3 if the file is not found on the website ?

Also what about other extensions using the images folder for instance (such as CB or hotspots) ? will JCE S3 interact with these to retrieve the S3 correct path ?

Thanks

Ryan
The JCE Amazon S3 Filesystem plugin is an alternative filesystem engine for the JCE File Browser, Image Manager etc. which allows you to manage (upload, delete, rename) files and folders in an AWS S3 bucket instead of on the local Joomla site. These files can then be inserted into articles as you would before, and are served from AWS.

This does not change where existing files that have already been uploaded to your site and inserted into articles are stored, so if you wanted to move all your media assets to S3, you would have to change all affected urls in all your content.

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

activha
Yes but I have noticed that the JCE S3 urls used are very complicated and long with queries to authenticate. So it cannot be simply prepending a single S3 host in front of old ones ?

And would your plugin also work for other components like what was talked about a few years ago ? like https://github.com/joomla/joomla-cms/pull/1925

Ryan
Yes but I have noticed that the JCE S3 urls used are very complicated and long with queries to authenticate. So it cannot be simply prepending a single S3 host in front of old ones ?

The long urls are only for items that are not public, and therefore require an authentication token. You can create urls that are public, and use a cname. All the images on this site are served from a cdn on AWS via S3 (see this article as an example - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/news/jce-pro-2-8-6-released), and I use the S3 plugin to manage them.

Ryan Demmer

activha
Ok got it.
We already use CDNs with jch optimize.
Do you mean that the bucket has to be public or are the settings within JCE ?

Ryan
No not the bucket, just the file being served. You can set the permissions when you upload the file, or if you manage your files with another client.

Ryan Demmer

activha
So you mean that after having uploaded all images folder content to S3 we would only have to change the old images relative urls to absolute ones including the S3 bucket path or cname ?

Ryan
Essentially yes. I did it for this site. I would recommend RegularLabs DB Replacer for this task - https://www.regularlabs.com/extensions/dbreplacer

Ryan Demmer

activha
Yes I use it also
Will go for tests on the dev website :-)

Could you consider enhancing the plugin to allow other components to use it ? Or allow it to fully replace joomla media management ? That would be huge