You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#102655 Very happy with latest update!

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Thursday, 23 January 2020 09:34 GMT

zmactief
Just want to let you know that we are very happy with the latest update of JCE! I'm using a Rockettheme template and saw that you updated something in there. I don't understand what, but now, when adding text, I can immediately see what it will look like on the site. Saves me a lot of work!

Still I have one question: since a few months my photos that I took in portrait format all fall down to the side in landscape format. I can rotate them of course, but would you know why this is happening and how to correct? A year ago it didn't happen, the protrait photos stayed portrait at that time...

Greetings, Rita Soutendijk

Ryan
Still I have one question: since a few months my photos that I took in portrait format all fall down to the side in landscape format. I can rotate them of course, but would you know why this is happening and how to correct? A year ago it didn't happen, the protrait photos stayed portrait at that time...

Is the Remove EXIF option enabled in Editor Profiles -> Editor Parameters -> Filesystem?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

zmactief
Yes, it is. But I just checked, it doesn't make a difference for the rotating images if it is on or not!

Ryan
Were these photos taken on a mobile phone in portrait mode?

Ryan Demmer

zmactief
No, with a nikon camera. But also photos from mobile and other cameras rotate. And the photos were shot in portrait mode.
Photos shot in landscape mode don't turn, they stay landscape.

Ryan
Are you resizing them on upload?

Ryan Demmer

zmactief
Yes, I do! That is a very helpfull feature of JCE, that it automatically resizes the photos.

I tried to switch it off and then the portrait photos stay upright. So I cannot use the resizing feature for portrait photos? Or is there another way to do this?

Ryan
I tried to switch it off and then the portrait photos stay upright. So I cannot use the resizing feature for portrait photos? Or is there another way to do this?

I am working on a fix for this. There appears to be an error in the code for resizing when using the PHP GD2 image processing library.

As an aside, you may want to speak to your host about enabling the PHP Imagick extension on your server, as this is a better image processing library than the default PHP GD2 - it uses less memory and is able to process larger images more efficiently.

Ryan Demmer

zmactief
Thanks for your answer and the tip! I will contact my host and ask which image system they use.

Thanks for teh help!

Greetings, Rita

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.8.4 RC 1 - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Ryan Demmer

zmactief
Hi Ryan!

I tried the update today and it works almost! With the update the portrait photos from my nikon camera stay portrait! But I couldn't upload many other pictures like photos from mobile or whatsapp, then i got the message "Can't upload this file because can't remove the exif data'.
If I uncheck the box 'remove exif data' at the JCE profile, I can upload the mobile and other pictures (and they stay portrait!), but the photos from my camera are rotating again.
At my site (we have a news website) I often cannot choose the photos myself, people send us photos that we post as news articles. So I think I'll stay for now at the option where the photos from mobile stay portrait. I make less portrait photos with my camera myself because I know they rotate, so for now this is the best solution!

Thanks for the update!

Greetings, Rita

Ryan
But I couldn't upload many other pictures like photos from mobile or whatsapp, then i got the message "Can't upload this file because can't remove the exif data'.

The could be the result of the PHP GD memory limit issue., You shouldn't have any problems if you can get your host to activate PHP IMagick.

Ryan Demmer