You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#102593 Joomla admin issue

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Ryan on Friday, 12 June 2020 10:13 BST

Jentoo
This may not be JCE related but I am beginning to think it could be.

For some time I've been experiencing issues in Joomla admin, usually when navigating to another section, particularly articles or modules. I get thrown out of the Admin and have to log in again. There's no error message or anything, I'm just kicked out back to the log in screen. When I log back in I will be in the section I had tried to navigate to.

This appears to be happening only in Firefox. For that reason I've been using Chrome quite a bit for Joomla admin tasks and haven't so far had any problems there. I am using Apple iMac Sierra.

At first I thought it was an extension issue, and spent time clearing out old extensions on my sites, which made no difference. I also realised that it was happening on sites which were quite new.

Then I thought the Firefox installation on my main computer might be a bit screwed, but the same thing was happening on my new laptop when I tried to do some work while away, which has a fresh installation of Firefox.

I've been through various upgrades with Joomla, all my extensions and Firefox since I started getting these issues.

Today I installed a new Joomla package for a new site. I thought I'd start off working in Firefox, to see if and when problems might start to occur. The first extension I installed was JCE (it's always JCE and Akeeba go in first), and when I then tried to navigate to the JCE component to put my key into the settings, I was kicked out of the admin straight away.

That has made me wonder if this is JCE related, so I thought it worth asking if there are any known issues in Firefox or if anyone else has been having similar problems using Firefox on the Mac.

Looking forward to feedback. In the meantime I'll continue using Chrome!

Best wishes
Jennie

Ryan
Please send me a login - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

Ryan
I am not able to replicate this issue testing on a number of different Firefox instances, on Windows and OS X.

It sounds like a session cookie issue, as you are getting logged out when attempting to access some part of the admin.

Ryan Demmer

Jentoo
Hi Ryan,

I thought this would be tricky to replicate. Did you try actually editing something and then navigating? It seems to happen when I've worked on something then navigate somewhere else.

With session cookie issue usually there is a relevant message pops up, but not getting anything with this.

I tried to use Firefox yesterday in that new installation to monitor what points it quits at. Just navigating around was fine, I tried that first. Then I added some custom modules, when I closed a module and tried to navigate to Menus it quit. Happened twice and I switched to Chrome after that.

I could try disabling JCE and see if that makes a difference. I hate working with the Tiny MCE editor! If it still happens that would rule JCE involvement out. But it clearly is browser related.

Thanks again

Best regards
Jennie

Ryan
I thought this would be tricky to replicate. Did you try actually editing something and then navigating? It seems to happen when I've worked on something then navigate somewhere else.

Yes, I have just test again, adding something to one of the custom modules you created, then after saving went to the Control Panel, Global Configuration, JCE Profiles and JCE File Browser.

Ryan Demmer

Jentoo
Never mind will see how it goes! I tried switching to Tiny MCE for about half an hour yesterday, went completely nuts using it. Had to do everything in code view as it was easier than using the editor. I soon remembered why JCE is always the first extension I install. It is the best! Didn't have any problems with it quitting though. I then switched to JCE again and did some further work and still didn't have any problems. So who knows. I'll do some more work in FF today and see how it goes.

Seems to most commonly quit when I navigate to menus from modules or articles, but I'll try to monitor it more closely and see if I get any more clues.

May just be one of those things I never get to the bottom of

Thank you for helping
Best wishes
Jennie

Jentoo
Well, for what it's worth, here's my workflow this afternoon on the new site in Firefox. I've also tried clearing various things in FF history, as noted. I've had enough of having to log in all the time now so I'm moving over to Chrome.

2.50pm Edited article, went to menus. Admin quit.

Closed FF, re-opened it and logged in. Tried to go to Articles, admin quit.

2.55pm Logged in successfully. Went to Menus, OK. Back to Articles, OK.

3pm Edited article, went to menus, admin quit.

Cleared offline data and logged in again. Did a lot of article editing.

3.40pm - finished editing articles, navigated to menus and admin quit.

Cleared active logins. Logged in again.

3.45pm went into a module and made minor change - converted a p tag to a div.

Saved and navigated to menus. Admin quit.

Cleared Browsing and Download History. Restarted FF and logged in again.

We are now showing 7 administrators in Admin.

Made same module change to tag in code view and navigated to menus OK.

4.04pm After making stylesheet changes via FTP, went back to Admin and tried to navigate to Articles. Admin quit. Logged in again

4.06 Edited article and tried to navigate to Menus. Admin quit.

Decided to give up and use Chrome!!!

amdesign
We are having this problem with one of our Joomla sites also, but I cannot get posts to save even in Chrome. I have to disable JCE entirely. It's especially odd since the site is one of several that were all duplicated from the same original with only minor changes to each, and all the others are still working. The only unique difference in extensions I see is that the non-functioning site has one called Art Adminer, but disabling that does not resolve the issue. What steps do we need to take to get assistance with this issue?

Ryan
@amdesign - Please send me a login - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/contact/site-login

Ryan Demmer

amdesign
Done! Let me know if you need anything else!

amdesign
Hello!

Any update on this?

Thank you!!!

Ryan
@amdesign - Apologies for the delay in my response.

I did look at the site in question and was able to replicate the issue, but I was not able to find any cause as to why this was happening. I only appeared to happen when the editor was loaded, not when other parts of the JCE extension were accessed, such as Editor Profiles, File BRowser etc.

In an attempt to determine whether the issue mau have been caused by a recent change to JCE, I tested installations of JCE Pro 2.6.38 and JCE Pro 2.7.20, but both exhibited the same problem.

It's especially odd since the site is one of several that were all duplicated from the same original with only minor changes to each, and all the others are still working.

Given this statement, and the fact that the issue appears to be version independent, I can only only suggest that it must be caused by something else on the site or server, perhaps triggered somehow by a JCE Editor function or routine.

Ryan Demmer

amdesign
This site was working perfectly for a couple years, then mystically stopped working at some point in the past year.

The only unique difference in extensions I see is that the non-functioning site has one called Art Adminer, but disabling that does not resolve the issue.

Everything else on the site seems standard compared to the other sites. All of the sites are running on the same server. I don't know why it would be working on the other sites and not on this one. Can you give us recommendations of things to look at for what might be causing this issue?

Ryan
The only unique difference in extensions I see is that the non-functioning site has one called Art Adminer, but disabling that does not resolve the issue.

Is there any change if you uninstall this, rather than just disabling it?

Ryan Demmer

Jentoo
Just to chip in, this is still ongoing for me but may not be related to amdesign's issue as it definitely is just in Firefox that there is a problem. Also it is happening on ALL my Joomla sites. Some maybe seem worse than others. I continue to use Chrome instead now for all Joomla admin tasks.

If it is by any chance related, my issue has been going on for a long time and will have been present in earlier versions.

I have wondered if it is something to do with the server, perhaps the .htacess redirect. My current hosting company gave me a specific www/https redirect to use in the .htaccess. This works fine in plain HTML sites but in Joomla the www redirect doesn't work. But I'm not sure. The way it quits is very similar to the way it quits if you've just made the switch to https.

Ryan
The way it quits is very similar to the way it quits if you've just made the switch to https.

The session cookie for http and https would be different, so you would be logged out.

Ryan Demmer

amdesign
Thank you for your help.

We are not using an SSL certificate, so that's unlikely to be the problem for us.

The plugin may be the problem. Unfortunately, we have put too much time to this for the client, so they've decided to just use the TinyMCE editor for the time being. We'll let you know if we ever decide to troubleshoot further.

Thank you so much!!!

Jentoo
I think it may have something to do with Sophos anti-virus program which is installed on my Mac. I was just in Joomla admin while running a scan and it was impossible, throwing me out continuously.

Is this likely?

Also a couple of days ago, the problem started happening in Chrome, so no longer just a Firefox issue.

Ryan
I think it may have something to do with Sophos anti-virus program which is installed on my Mac. I was just in Joomla admin while running a scan and it was impossible, throwing me out continuously.

Is this likely?

If the scan somehow affects browser cookies, then this would cause you to be logged out.

Ryan Demmer