You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Online

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

#102472 Problem with captions and margins since recent update

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by Secretary on Wednesday, 23 June 2021 22:43 BST

theomayeriii
Captions is having problems... When you set margins in the article, and then add a caption, the margins are reset to "initial" and the margin is no longer displaying correctly.

If you add the margin back.. the bounding box of the caption now sets the margin - with the caption going to the edge of the margin and the picture being (pushed) by the margin distance.

Is anyone else experiencing this (it is new since last release) and does anyone have any solution or work flow or work around??

Thanks

Ryan
Please try JCE Pro 2.8.3 Beta - https://www.joomlacontenteditor.net/downloads/editor/pro/development

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

theomayeriii
Thank you Ryan - I will.

Theo

Secretary
No that is not fixed by that update.

Adding a caption distorts the image perspective by replacing the values inserted in the Margin fields with the text 'INITIAL'.

Can't use captions because of that when it was the maim reason I bought the product. I have attached before and after images.

Please advise.

EDIT: While looking at this. After inserting the caption, if the caption text is selected in the editor and the alignment is changed, it affects the nearby text in the article. Only way to change it is the delete it and change the alignment at the time if inserting the caption text. Needs fixing.

Attachments

Secretary
To replicate the above. The article has to be refreshed in the website. Sometimes it displays correctly just after inserting the caption in both the editor and the website.

But clicking to Home on the website then back to the article will show the behavior above.

Secretary
OK, I have more information

I went in and entered valid dimensions for Height, width and margins. Saved it.

Went back in after adding a caption and the image shows what happens. Height and Margins have values I did not add or want.

Please advise.

Attachments

Ryan
@Secretary# - Please post a link to an example on your site.

Ryan Demmer

Secretary
I have removed the caption so there is no error to see now. I have provided screen grabs of what happens.

The site is www.qrya.com.au This is the article fixed https://qrya.com.au/index.php/home/latest-news/515-bridge-for-sale-2

Ryan
I have removed the caption so there is no error to see now. I have provided screen grabs of what happens.

EDIT: While looking at this. After inserting the caption, if the caption text is selected in the editor and the alignment is changed, it affects the nearby text in the article. Only way to change it is the delete it and change the alignment at the time if inserting the caption text.

The screenshots are not sufficient to troubleshoot the issue, as some styles or scripts on your site may contribute to the problem. I need to briefly be able to see the caption applied to the image find the cause of the problem.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
It looks like the image in question on this page - https://qrya.com.au/index.php/home/latest-news/515-bridge-for-sale-2 - is being "lazy loaded" by a script on the site, which could be the cause of the issue.

If you able to disable this (it may be part of your template or an extension you have installed), then we can determine if this is the cause of the display issue. Modern browsers now have lazy loading built in, which you can set on images you insert by setting the Loading option in the Advanced tab of the Image Manager to lazy.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
Using browser Developer Tools to edit the displayed HTML I was able to create the caption on your site (see below) and I assume that it is displaying correctly, so there is no other css that is affecting the layout.

https://cdn.joomlacontenteditor.net/tmp/102472-problem-with-captions-and-margins-since-recent-update.jpg

This leads me to believe that the lazy loading script I mentioned in my previous post may be the cause of the layout problem.

Ryan Demmer

Secretary
No caption displaying.

So how exactly do I address the lazy loading?

Ryan
No caption displaying.

Yes there is. "Corrector weights" is the caption.

So how exactly do I address the lazy loading?

It would seem that you have an extension installed on your site, or a setting in your template, that is implementing the lazy loading on all images on the page. You need to fine this extension or setting, and disable it.

Ryan Demmer

Ryan
See this post at Rockettheme which may be relevant - https://rockettheme.com/forum/general-discussion/228287-how-where-can-i-turn-off-smartload-on-rochettheme-template#1127822

Ryan Demmer

Secretary
Located and switched off 'smartload'. One test with a caption and it displayed correctly.

If this works reliably that will be great.

Thanks for your support.