You need to be logged in to post in the forum - Log In

An active JCE Pro Subscription is required to post in the forum - Buy a Subscription

Support is currently Offline

Official support hours
Monday to Friday
09:00 - 17:00 Europe/London (BST)

Please create a new Ticket and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

#101515 Color and noise deviation when adding watermark

Posted in ‘Editor’
This is a public ticket

Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.

Latest post by uglyone2002 on Saturday, 02 November 2019 19:34 GMT

uglyone2002
Hi Ryan,
got an issue with the watermark feature - when adding watermark during upload it will have an effect on image colors. I get color deviation especially with blue skies (become more cyan). Also noise is more when adding a watermark!
Am I doing something wrong?
I have attached two crops from the same image. One crop with watermark (color and opacity standard) one without...

Attachments

Ryan
Do you know whether you are using PHP IMagick or PHP GD2 for the image processing?

In System -> System Information, click on the PHP Information tab. Is imagick listed as on the modules?

Ryan Demmer

Lead Developer / CEO / CTO

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you.

uglyone2002
No imagick is not listed!
I got only listed gd Free Type Version 2.5.5

Ryan
Ok that means that image processing on your site is using the default PHP GD2 extension. This is usually fine, but will have issues with processing large images.

I will look into these colour issues, but I would suggest you speak to your host about enabling the PHP IMagick extension, as it is more efficient at image processing than PHP GD2.

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
I am running my site on a synology NAS. I can install the imagick php App and check if it is more efficient. I will keep you updated...
Thanks again for your awesome support!!

Ryan
I've just tested an IMagick processed watermark and did not notice any colour changes or noise. I would be interested to hear of your tests.

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
Without watermark noise is gone - with watermark still lot of noise and discoloration
Due to a different problem I am running MediaBox 2.0.13beta1 => could this cause an issue??

Ryan
Due to a different problem I am running MediaBox 2.0.13beta1 => could this cause an issue??

This issue does not have anything to do with JCE MediaBox. All image processing is done in the JCE Editor API.

Without watermark noise is gone - with watermark still lot of noise and discoloration

Is this with PHP Imagick?

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
Yes it is. I got some trouble in getting the Imagick php extension installed on my server but finally succeed.

Ryan
In Editor Profiles -> Editor Parameters -> Filesystem, is Use IMagick if available set to Yes?

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
Yeah I found that option already and it is set to yes. I can also see Imagick in the PHP information page.
Is there a way to doublecheck if the image was really processed using Imagick?

uglyone2002
Is this maybe a browser related issue? Just recognized different in color saturation between Safari and Firefox (I a working on a Mac)? Colors in Firefox seems to be bolder...

Ryan
Watermarking is processed on the server, so the browser is irrelevant.

Just recognized different in color saturation between Safari and Firefox (I a working on a Mac)?

What does the image look like after processing when open with an OS X application, like an image editor or Preview?

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
It looks like a preview when opening on OS X

Ryan
What I mean is, does the image look correct when you view it with an application in OS X (not a browser)?

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
Uhpps sorry...
It looks better (noise is less but maybe noise becomes more with higher saturation) but not perfect in Mac OS.
I found some settings in Firefox to make it appear the same like in Safari/Mac OS.
Maybe the issue really is on my side. I am not 100% sure if I installed imagick correctly...

Ryan
I am not 100% sure if I installed imagick correctly...

If it's listed in System Information -> PHP Information then it should be OK.

Do you see any colour issues when uploading an image without watermarking, but with resize options set?

Ryan Demmer

uglyone2002
I usually resize my images before uploading using Photoshop. So I can not tell right away. I will do some tests and let you know

uglyone2002
Ryan,
I did further testing on this issue. Looks like the problem disappeared for unknown reason. Noise and color is looking normal doesn't matter if image is resized / watermarked / thumbnailed.
I even set "use Imagick if available" to "No" and the problem still is gone?!?!
Makes me a little confused...Don't know what I did - sorry for wasting your time...